

Date: Apr 6, 2021	Location: online (zoom)	Start Time: 7:30pm
Chair: Shandelle Skaley	Recorder: Avishai Weissberg	End Time: 8:30 pm

Membership	Role	Attended
Bridget Ford Ashley Hansen Shandelle Skaley Avishai Weissberg Joel David	Co-treasurer Co-chair Co-chair Secretary DPAC rep	Y
Peter Woo	Principal (Non-voting member)	Y
Other members or participants	Denis Ryan, Lyndon Price, Sophia Lopes	
Next Meeting	May 4, 2021 at 7:45 pm online (zoom)	

Review Last Meeting Minutes

The minutes were approved. Motion raised by Bridget, seconded by Ashley and approved.

Principal's Update

Covid Update

Some families going back to learning from home.

Photo Day

Next Thursday we're going to have Photo Day, but there will be no class photos taken. Home learners will also be invited to specific time slots. The photos will be taken outdoors, without masks.

Grade 7 Graduation Ceremony

There will be a face-to-face graduation ceremony, with students only. It will be recorded and live streamed.

Next school year

Next school year there will be only 2 kindergarten classes, made up of 43 kids: 39 that registered before the deadline, 3 registered after, and 1 international (hasn't arrived yet). Sexsmith, Laurier and DLG don't have enough space, so one of the schools will need to have overflow.

This results in a change to staffing: Ms Louie (Grade 1) will be laid off, and Mr Johnson will be the new Grade 1 teacher.

Avishai: What will the class splits look like?

Mr Woo: We might have more splits next year. Once we get the final message of how many kids we have, we decide with the teachers on the split.

Seismic Update

With regards to the trucks driving near the school during times when kids come to school or go home, I have asked Adam Sitter to take care of it.

Shandelle: Is there an update on the timeline? Is it still expected to be done in Dec 2022?

Mr Woo: Adam Sitter said it's expected about 3 months earlier, but the school board representative is more conservative.

Avishai: Have they started taking out the oil tank?

Mr Woo: This will happen over the summer. They're still not 100% sure where it is.

DPAC Update

Joel:

The school board is currently in budget consultation stage for next year. DPAC will have a town hall about it on April 13th. I'll be able to take any questions that you may have. I'll share the link to the budget later, and to a presentation on it.

Mr Woo: It would be nice to hear what they're doing with the surplus (they're not using any substitute teachers).

Joel: I'll bring it up

Financial Update

Bridget:

Funds raised

We have received \$4473 in donations for the playground (with about \$23,500 total donations so far). On top of it, there is still \$268 in checks that need to be deposited.

We managed to raise \$1780 in the Movie Night.

Ashley: I have an extra \$15 in cash here for you.

Bridget:

In terms of expenses, we had \$200 for Ms Tchir's music license, and \$92 for Movie Night.

Our general account balance is very healthy at about \$42,000.

There has been zero movement in our Casino account, leaving the balance at \$17,744.

Weirdly we are not receiving monthly interest like we used to. It's a very small amount, but it's still curious.

We'll be able to use the casino money for the playground, we have documented approval from the school board.

Ashley: Popcorn went really well at Movie Night, we had a surplus which we gave away to the primary kids and gummies for the older kids as bonus items.

Mr Woo: We had a few technical issues in the beginning but eventually everything worked out.

Shandelle: We can have Grade 1 kids write up thank you cards for the playground donors.

Mr Woo: I have thank you cards with the picture of the school.

Shandelle: I'll write them myself, since the PAC asked for the money.

Other Business

Sensory Room in New School - Ashley Moller-Hanson

Ashley:

We'd like to have a sensory room in the new school, but we need to decide what to put in it. I can start a subcommittee.

The idea is to create a room with different purposes, depending on the child's needs at that time. For example, a calm down space vs space to run around. There's a grant we can apply for from Honda. There's also an option that coastal health will contribute, they have a process we can apply to.

Bridget: There's a limitation that you can't put up a sign inside the school that it was donated by someone.

Ashley: That's ok, Honda have no requirements for naming or donation signs.

Shandelle: The school board won't pay for the sensory room items, right?

Mr Woo: The school board has a special account for therapy that can be used for it, but usually it's paid for by either the PAC or the school.

Ashley:

There's also a company called "Sensory Path" (or Sensory Pathways) that makes a kind of flooring, meant to help kids focus better at school, outside the sensory room.

Mr Woo: I think we looked at it previously. I'll bring it up again with the staff.

Ashley: Mr Woo, please connect me with relevant families (families of kids with sensory issues).

Sports Day

Mr Woo: There's no information yet. Some teachers are talking about doing something within the cohorts. There's only one class without another class in their cohort.

End of year ideas for Cohorts

Shandelle: Movie Night went really well, we should think of something similar for a fun end-of-year activity. If anybody has any idea please let me know.

Sophia: How about a beach theme party?

Set next Pac Meeting Date

Shandelle proposed May 4th, at 7:45 (in consideration of Avishai's schedule limitation). There were no objections.