

Date: May 4, 2021	Location: online (zoom)	Start Time: 7:45pm
Chair: Shandelle Skaley	Recorder: Avishai Weissberg	End Time: 8:45 pm

Membership	Role	Attended
Bridget Ford Ashley Hansen Shandelle Skaley Avishai Weissberg Joel David	Co-treasurer Co-chair Co-chair Secretary DPAC rep	Y
Peter Woo	Principal (Non-voting member)	Y
Other members or participants	Lyndon Price, Mohamma Goneh Farahany, Lise Matthews, Sophia Lopes, Elizabeth Ruder-Celiz, Cat, Musa	
Next Meeting	Jun 1, 2021 at 7:45 pm online (zoom)	

Review Last Meeting Minutes

The minutes were approved. Motion raised by Bridget, seconded by Ashley and approved.

Principal's Update

Staff Appreciation day

Thank you for the surprise today (staff appreciation).

COVID

We had 2 cases of covid. The first was just 1 child, we don't know how many children in the 2nd incident (we are not informed by Coastal Health).

Bridget: Have teachers started getting vaccinated?

Mr Woo: A bunch of them have, and a few more are being vaccinated in the near future. There was an age limit until last weekend, but now all ages including the younger staff members are going to get vaccinated.

Staffing

We now know the staffing for September. We are going from 3 kindergarten classes to 2. Grades 1-7 will be divided between 17 classrooms. This is great, but also means that we will be serving as overflow for kids who have no room in their zone.

Ashley: Will there be no split classes then?

Mr Woo: Kindergartens can't be split. but the others can be split. We may have fewer split classes, but then grade 7 will be packed. Ideally we want an equal distribution of kids between classes.

Bridget: how many kids joined / left during the year? I remember it being a surprisingly high number.

Mr Woo: I don't have the exact number with me. We did had more joiners than leavers this year.

Seismic Upgrade

A crane joined today. It was smaller than I thought it would be and moved faster. We closed the gravel field for about an hour but that's it.

Adam Sitter (project manager) said that once the crane is here, things get built rather quickly.

Summer School

I sent out announcements about Summer School, please be mindful of it.

Grade 7

Sports Day

I've been working with grade 7 kids to organize a sports day, making it as safe as possible. They are brainstorming some ideas, e.g a cardboard maze. If it happens, it will be around early June. Food wise, it'll be a half day with a freezie at the end.

Shandelle: How about doing actual sports instead of games? e.g soccer, volleyball, badminton.

Mr Woo: Soccer needs a large area, and we don't have enough nets for volleyball. It's also easier to sanitize games between kids.

Ashley: Actually we know now that the risk of catching covid from surfaces is very low.

Mr Woo: The current official guidelines are to sanitize. They were written back in January, hopefully they'll be updated soon.

Shandelle: if you did do cohorts, I think volleyball or soccer would be great.

Mr Woo: I'll ask grade 7 kids and see what they think.

Graduation

A document was posted on Teams that said that we can have graduation face to face (but without parents). It'll be live-fed via video and recorded for parents to watch.

Bridget: Can we do shared food?

Mr Woo: Prepackaged is fine. We can have Panago pizza.

New School Name

We currently have a school code which is LLG. We were offered to be gifted a first nation name. I asked to get 2 names (First Nation and another one). We cannot decline the first nation name. It's bound to be difficult to pronounce and spell.

Crosstown school changed their name to "šxʷwəqʷəθət". An example from another school: "səlil wətaʔt". Realistically, for delivery people and non-teachers, everybody will continue to call it crosstown.

My guess is that we will have a Halkomelem (Həh̓qəmiñəh̓) name, slash "Marpole". Our school code will probably change to something like Marpole, e.g MRPL.

Ashley: Will we also have "Marpole" on the school sign?

Bridget: The school spirit will probably revolve around "Marpole".

Shandellet: It would also be great if we have a pronunciation guide under the Musquean name.

DPAC Update

Joel:

Last month we talked about how VSB is seeking feedback on the budget that projected a shortfall. Mr Woo provided some questions about the shortfall. Following those questions, they are now **not** projecting a shortfall any more.

There are still a couple of surveys open, you can access them on the DPAC site. One is about assessments, for grades 4 and 7. The other one is about Covid.

There was a survey by the school board about trying to reuse some of the land, in particular after the seismic update. One of the options is to sell the land. DPAC made some statements that we are fine with land being *leased* if it's not needed, but we are *not ok* with the selling of land, we are thinking it's short sighted.

Bridget: Do they consider parts of existing school property?

Joel: It's on the table.

Financial Update

Bridget:

General Account

We've had another productive month. In April, we had \$1,110 in playground donations that I deposited. I also deposited an extra \$3,764 last weekend which will fit into the May bracket.

There were no checks out of the general account. The current balance is \$46,239. We received another \$3,500 donation from Spare Time Fun Center.

Playground Donations update

We received \$155 to the Paypal account. We had 430\$ in that account. The Paypal account is registered under the PAC email address.

Casino Account

We wrote a \$3,000 check this month for the sporting equipment we voted on 2 months ago. The school's share was \$700. This allows for additional sporting equipment for the cohorts.

The closing balance is \$14,744.

I also wrote a \$200 check for the scholarship fund, for Churchill Secondary students. It hasn't been deposited yet.

Other Business

PAC Website

Bridget:

The old website is supposed to be renewed this month. Can we *not* extend it? We have <https://dlgpac.com> instead.

Ashley: We have no way to access the old one or change anything. It's \$100 for renewing the new site.

Bridget: Can we put the minutes etc on the site?

Ashley: Yes.

Shandelle: Let's also update the pac meeting instructions (e.g the time is wrong).

Bridget: I'll cancel the renewal for the old website.

End of Summer Class Cohort Luau (Budget Approval)

Shandelle:

We are going to plan the Luau with cohorts, with the anticipation that numbers will go down and will be safe for us to proceed. I'd like to approve a budget, and we can cancel if the numbers don't look good.

Ashley: Based on conversations so far with Sophie and others. It's going to be a 2 hour event at the end of the day. Halloween was a little chaotic, lasting all day, even during recess. This time we'll do 4 locations (15m stations) for 4 different cohorts:

1. Kindergarten playground: coconut bowling etc
2. Middle section (where the amphitheatre is): tinfoil s'mores on the barbecue, and a bring-your-own-beach-towel day, to sit on
3. Intermediate playground + half basketball court: tiki bar serving freezies
4. Gravel field: canopies and sand castle coloring contest

I was hoping Mr Woo can help us build a bar out of pallets.

Mr Woo: Sure, just email me how many pallets you need.

Shandelle: I think \$500 is rather generous. I don't know if we'll actually need that amount.

Ashley: For Halloween, the dry ice was expensive, but it still only cost 650\$ altogether. We could try to offset the cost somehow. maybe with a raffle.

Shandelle: Mr Woo, does the timing work for you?

Ashley: It's the week before last of school.

Mr Woo: Yes, it works ok. The grade 7s will be excited about this and help out. I'll approach the staff on this

Bridget: Do you need to sanitize everything between cohorts?

Mr Woo: The school board doesn't require it, I don't think we need to. Coastal Health don't count *any* contact outdoors as potential transmission events.

Shandelle: If anyone wants to participate in the planning let me know. We are going to do some planning over zoom next week.

Ashley raised a motion to spend *up to* \$500, seconded by Avishai and approved.

Sensory Room Committee

Ashley:

I still haven't heard from Wendy. I have 1 person on my committee. If anyone else wants to help that would be great. The idea is to make it a flexible room, so it can serve multiple sensory needs (e.g meltdown vs quiet space)

Free Mental Health Workshops *Youth Crisis Centre of BC

Shandelle:

There are virtual 1 time 60-90 minute sessions available for free, for ages 6-12 ("Mindful tools for everyday living"). Availability through the fall. I'm not sure if it's a single session per school.

I was thinking that in September it might be helpful for some classes, especially for kids who are coming back after a year. To get some help for dealing with anxiety etc. Or if teachers have students who might benefit from it. These sessions are for classes, not for individuals.

Next PAC Meeting Date

Shandelle proposed June 1.

Bridget: The next meeting is our AGM (annual general meeting) where we elect people for executive positions.

Shandelle: Please put out your name if you want to be nominated for any positions.

Mr Woo: I will send out a notification for parents to sign up on the coming newsletter.

Appreciation Lunch

Shandelle: In previous years we put out appreciation lunches for the staff. Can we do the same this year?

Mr Woo: What you did today (for Staff Appreciation day) was ok, you can do something similar.

Ashley: We can do catered, individually served.

Bridget: In the past we spent about 900\$. But we also ask for donations for this. At the minimum we've received \$600 in donations.

There followed a discussion of options: Japadog, food stands vs food trucks, consideration of 4 vegetarian staff members or staff members who are allergic to Gluten.

Shandelle was successful in asking the now-closest Starbucks for a coffee donation.

Bridget raised a motion to approve \$500 (max expense) beyond what we get from parent donations for a staff appreciation lunch. Seconded by avishai and approved.

Shandelle: Can we also do a volunteer appreciation lunch?

Mr Woo: That's organized by the staff.